Jul 19, 2021 | Breaking News, Community, Political

Major construction underway on exit 41 of the Pacific Motorway

  • Rod Stephen is a former television journalist and has worked as Foreign Editor for the Seven Network, Australian Bureau Chief for TV3 New Zealand, UK correspondent for Seven and ABC radio and as a producer for Reuters TV in London as well as SBS in Sydney and Melbourne before returning to Brisbane to work at 4BC.

Major construction is officially underway on the $82  million Pacific Motorway Exit 41 (Yatala South) interchange upgrade. 

Federal Minister for Communications, Urban Infrastructure, Cities and the Arts, the Hon Paul Fletcher MP, said Georgiou Group will deliver the main construction works.

“The Morrison Government is getting on with delivering infrastructure projects that improve congestion and safety for commuters across Australia, making it easier for them to move around our capital cities and ensuring they get home quickly and safely,” Minister Fletcher said.

“Under the Urban Congestion Fund, we are delivering 178 individual packages of works nationwide. This project brings to 63 the total number of Urban Congestion Fund projects around Australia that are completed or underway. A further 59 are expected to start construction this year.  

Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister, the Hon Mark Bailey MP, said community input on the concept design had been received, with all feedback considered in the final design.

“Not only will motorist safety be improved through reducing off-ramp queues along the M1, road users will enjoy better east-to-west linkage across the motorway thanks to the new overpass bridge and increased interchange capacity,” Minister Bailey said.

“As a result of feedback, the southbound off-ramp will include a left-turn slip lane to allow traffic access Eastern Service Road without entering the interchange.

“To ensure work zones are safe for road users and workers, the speed limit on the M1 at this location will remain at 80 km/h for the project’s duration.

“We’re committed to improving the M1, which is why we fast-tracked this upgrade to enable early works to start last year.”

Federal Member for Forde, Bert van Manen MP, said the Exit 41 project was just the first of several M1 interchange upgrades planned to improve safety and reduce congestion. 

“We are also planning upgrades for Exit 38 (Yatala North) and Exit 45 (Ormeau), with community consultation for the Exit 45 (Ormeau) safety improvements design and the Exit 49 (Pimpama) upgrade to start soon,” Mr van Manen said. 

“By keeping work flowing on projects like these, we continue to invest in the community during this difficult period. 

“This investment is estimated to support an average of 179 direct jobs over the life of the project, when creating and maintaining jobs has never been more critical.” 

The Australian and Queensland governments have committed $192.6 million towards upgrades of Exit 41 and Exit 49 interchanges, under a 50:50 funding arrangement. 

For more information, visit www.tmr.qld.gov.au , email exit41@tmr.qld.gov.au or call 1800 955 939.

For up-to-date road condition information, call 13 19 40, visit www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au or download the app.

More local stories

Recent Stories

Share This